Thursday, May 1, 2008

Bloodlust

There are times when the restlessness will not be contained. When there's this burning rage that refuses to subside simply because there is no outlet.
Thwack.
I watched as the arrow thudded into the target, noting how it was slightly off center. I plucked another arrow out of the quiver beside my feet, nocked it to the string, sighted and then let loose.
They called it the rage. Queen's rage.
I laughed under my breath as I thought about what they had said, dismissive of what they had told me. It was ludicrous to take them seriously when they told me that the rage must find an outlet or...
Or else. Or else what? I had shrugged recklessly, daring them to do their worst. It was my own body, it was folly to think that I would ever lose control.
I laughed again, loosed another arrow at the target, and cursed as it went off into the brush. Suddenly, the world tilted sideways and I found myself sprawled in a tangle on the ground. I propped myself up with one hand, looking curiously at how my left hand shook when I raised it to block out the sun that seemed to be shining directly into my eyes.
A large hand wrapped around my forearm, the other twining around my waist to boost me up. Irritation washed over me and I slapped his hands away, shifting to stand by myself. I could almost feel his confusion, which made me even angrier for some reason.
I picked up the bow, smoothing my hands over its glossy surface, trying to bring my emotions under control, but the more I tried to tamp things down, the angrier I got. After a couple of minutes, it was all I could do to not swing the bow in his direction and send a couple of arrows his way.
"What's wrong?"
I glared at the hands that he stretched out to me, attempting to take my bow and the arrow I held clenched in my hand, only dimly realizing that I had it pointed straight at his abdomen.
"What's wrong?" I laughed, hearing it echo through the rage filled haze that blurred everything.
"Don't ask. Don't you even dare ask," I swung the bow aside and let the arrow loose into the dirt beside his boots. "All I ever wanted was a chance -- but there was precious few of those, weren't there? You, and everyone else -- all of you grimacing behind your masks. Don't think I didn't hear about how they wished that Helena had become queen. That I didn't know that everyone was just waiting for the poor, ignorant off-worlder to trip up. "
"My queen,"
I cut him off before he could even start, "No, no, just stop. Stop." I dropped the bow and pressed my hands over my temples, where a migraine was starting to build up momentum. I saw him start towards me again and I whirled away from him. "Stay away. Don't touch me."
Another burst of pain speared through my head and I dropped to my knees, rocking back and forth with the beat of my heart. Through the misty edges of my sight I saw him approach again. This time I raised my hand, triggered the spell-ring, and looked at how he beat his fists against the ward with satisfaction before succumbing to the dark.

No comments: